What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is the world's most ancient system of preventive health care. Developed in India over 6,000 years ago. Ayurveda (which translates as "knowledge of life") is a natural approach for creating balance and strengthening the body's healing abilities.
Over time and with the foreign domination of India, the comprehensive knowledge of Ayurveda became fragmented and lost. Recently, working together with the foremost Ayurveda experts in India, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, founder of the Transcendental Meditation program (TM), systematized and restored Ayurveda, along with all the other branches of Vedic knowledge, to its purity and completeness in accord with classic Vedic texts.
How does Maharishi Ayurveda work?
Maharishi Ayurveda enlivens the inner intelligence of the body and strengthens its natural healing ability. According to Ayurveda, disease is primarily the result of imbalances and impurities that accumulate in the body over time. The specialty of Ayurveda is in diagnosing imbalances at an early stage—before symptoms of disease arise, eliminating those imbalances from the body and teaching each person how to live a healthy, balanced life.
What are mind/body types?
Ayurveda was the first system of medicine to recognize the concept of individual mind/body types. It holds that everyone is born with their own natural balance which influences all aspects of their life, including body structure, emotional makeup and predisposition to illnesses. Without understanding one's natural balance you may unknowingly create imbalances by following a life-style that strains your mind/body system.
What are doshas?
According to Ayurveda, the body is governed by three fundamental biological principles — called doshas— that control all of the body's functions. These doshas are Vata (regulates movement), Pitta (regulates metabolism) and Kapha (regulates structure). All three doshas work together. One's individual mind/body type is determined by the natural predominance of one or more of these three doshas in the body.
How many people practice Ayurveda in the US?
The Maharishi Ayurveda health program is the fastest growing system of alternative medicine in the U. S., with over 3 million practitioners. Many best selling books popularize its commonsense principles. More than 600 scientific studies in 27 countries at 220 institutions have verified its effectiveness in many areas of health and beauty.
How can I gain an introduction to Maharishi Ayurveda and start gaining benefits immediately?
The FREE Introduction to the Knowledge and Practice of Healthy Daily Routine booklet provides a complete introduction to all the essential points of Ayureda that everyone needs to know to help prevent disorders and reverse imbalances through lifestyle and diet. The booklet covers the following areas of knowledge:
- Introduction to the theory and practice of Maharishi Ayurveda
- Knowledge of how to determine body type and imbalances
- Description of each step in a healthy daily routine, including theoretical background and practical "how to" guidelines
- Instruction in how to perform the classical Maharishi Rejuvenation procedures of:
- Sun Salutations
- Pranayama breathing technique
- Ayurveda herbalized oil self-massage
- Instruction in the principles of Ayurveda exercise
- Detailed instruction on nutrition
- A simple system to determine a balanced diet
- Guidelines for proper eating behavior to have the best digestion and gain maximum nutrition
- Detailed information and recipes for Ayurveda food preparation
- Introduction to the powerful and time-tested healing modalities of Maharishi Ayurveda including:
- Ayurveda Health consultations for prevention, rejuvenation and the treatment of chronic disorders
- Maharishi RejuvenationSM program for cleansing the body of toxins and impurities
- The Transcendental Meditation® (TM) program - for a mental approach to enlivening the healing ability of the body
- Maharishi Vedic SoundSM programs for chronic disorders
- Maharishi Vedic ArchitectureSM for building design in accord with natural law to support health and success in life